Saturday, October 29, 2011

Time for the markets


I find the farmers markets on Saturday mornings one of those routines which sets the mode for my whole weekend. My 2 year old and I go ever Saturday morning and meet my friend Erin. I love walking in with the energy of all the early morning shoppers. The first thing we see as we enter is an abundance of colour with the flower stall. If I had the money (and arm space), I would buy hundreds of flowers and decorate my house with the sweet fragrance of spring.




We start our morning visit with a coffee and catch-up. I'm able to keep Reuben quite with a fresh waffle while we talk about whatever we feel like. This is followed by our forage through our favourite market stall, packed with seasonal fruit and vegetables. I love walking up and down the isles and discovering new fruits, or awkward vegetable disformities.  Reuben runs through the isles and picks out things which look weird and yells, "Mummy, what's this?". Today he picked up a large green chilli and asked if it was an apple. The lady standing by us thought that was hilarious and we joked about the possible outcomes if Reuben had taken a bite out of the chilli.



We round off our visit with a stop to the egg guy, who every time proudly presents a carton of eggs and asks if that's what we were after. Then we squeeze our way through the crowds to the exit and head home.




I love the vibrancy, colour and excitement of the markets. I also love the bargains, where else can you get a bag full of fruit and veg for under $20? This week I bought heaps of fruit, including pears, apples and peaches. I also bought a pumpkin. With Halloween two days away, now I need to decide what I want to bake this weekend. Maybe a pumpkin spice cake, or some apple pancakes, or some poached pears... wait and see.









No comments:

Post a Comment