Sunday, July 1, 2012

Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb

My brother and his girlfriend returned from four weeks overseas today. I was really excited to see them and hear the stories of their amazing adventure. Dad forwarded me an email about a week ago from my brother in Portugal informing them of their arrival home, not to worry about picking them up from the airport and that we'll all have dinner the night of their return. He then threw in a cheeky, "and looking forward to one of Cathy's desserts - can you tell her to bake" hahaha. Thanks bro ;-).

Because I was so excited about them being back, I couldn't decide on what to bake. Do I do something topical and make something from one of the cities on their travels (aka France, Spain, Portugal and London)? Or do I make something seasonal to remind them of home? Or do I do my signature over-the-top and chocolate? 

To help with this decision, I went to the markets yesterday morning. We had a great time picking all the fresh fruit and veg and going through the rows of gourmet treats. I found a bunch of rhubarb and thought a nice crumble would warms their bones, so decided on that. 
















At home that night, I scrolled online and went through multiple cookbooks to find the perfect rhubarb recipe. I found some pretty exciting posts, however went with a recipe from Maggie Beer's book. I adore Maggie Beer and thought this recipe would be perfect, especially since they bought me the book on their last trip to the Barossa - fitting. ENJOY (we did!!).

Maggie Beer's Rhubarb Crumble

1 large bunch ripe rhubarb, leaves removed, washed and cut into 3 cm pieces
1/2 cup caster sugar
finely grated orange rind and juice from 2 oranges
125g plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
100g rolled oats
140g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
double cream and ice cream to serve

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Spread the rhubarb in a dish, sprinkle with sugar and orange juice and bake for about 20 minutes, or until tender, then set rhubarb aside in it's juices (if pan if dry after removing it from the oven, add a little more orange juice). 


Combine flour, cinnamon, sugar, orange zest and oats, then rub butter into the mix using your fingers.


Place cooled rhubarb and juices into a buttered ovenproof dish, sprinkle with crumble and bake for about 25 minutes or until crumble is golden. Serve with some double cream.






No comments:

Post a Comment