Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Rhubarb - So that's what it tastes like

Two weeks ago I bought my first bunch of rhubarb at the markets. Unfortunately, my motivation for baking has been lacking the past two weeks, so the rhubarb sat on my kitchen bench until it needed to be thrown out. This weekend at the markets, I noticed rhubarb was only $1 a bunch, so I decided to try again.

I have never baked with rhubarb, actually, I have never tasted rhubarb, so I scrolled the web for a recipe that would ease me into this fruit (yes, a fruit). After too long looking through search results, I realised I could type "rhubarb" into foodgawker and wha-lah, an idea. And so, here we have my first attempt at rhubarb: Rhubarb Swirl Cupcakes.


Rhubarb Cupcakes


Rhubarb puree
4 x rhubarb steams
1/2 cup sugar
1 x tbs water

Add all ingredients into a saucepan and cook over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved, then simmer on low for about 10 minutes. When the rhubarb can be squished using a spoon (or whatever you're stirring it with), remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cooled, puree until smooth (I used my whizzer thingy, best way to explain it. While searching for the whiz part, my husband asked what I was doing. I said, I'm trying to find the thing that goes WHIZZZZZZZ. Suffice to say, he had no idea what I was talking about, but did a quick look anyway). Set aside to cool.

Cupcakes
(makes 24 medium sized cupcakes)
240g plain flour
280g caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
80g butter
2 eggs
240ml milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter with an electric beater until the mixture reaches a sandy consistency. Pour in half the milk and mix on a low speed until just combined. In a separate bowl, mix the remainder of the milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Pour into batter and mix until a smooth consistency. Fold through the rhubarb puree. Spoon batter into cup cake holders and bake on 180 degrees celsius for 25 minutes or until a skewer can be inserted and come out clean. Leave on a wire rack to completely cool.

Icing
80g butter
250g icing sugar
25ml milk
dash vanilla extract
two drops pink/red food colouring

Using an electric mixer, beat in a bowl the butter and icing sugar. When the butter and sugar are combined, add the milk and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth. Taste the icing, if too sugary, add a splash more milk and keep beating. Add two drops of red food colour and beat until combined. When ready, pipe onto cooled cupcakes and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment