Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Christmas baking starts with something simple

I've been doing a bit of research into delicious baked items that I can give as Christmas gifts. Last year was the first year I did this and had a great response. Those people I always find it hard to buy for, I found easy to bake for. So this year I'm extending the baking gifts list. As Christmas in Brisbane is always sweltering (and generally rains for those interested), I don't want to bake anything to heavy. For my 92 year old Grandma I'm planning on baking an assortment of cookies. So today I started testing some recipes. I need to work on my royal icing, but the cookie and icing taste nice. If you feel like some easy recipes to try, have a go at this one. ENJOY!




Chocolate Shortbread 
From Martha Stewart
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
125g cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Pulsify flour, icing sugar, cocoa and salt until combined. Add the butter and vanilla and pulse until the mixture becomes thick. Roll out the mixture until it's between 1.5 and 2cms thick. Using your desired cookie cutter, cut shapes from the dough and place on a lined baking tray. Bake on 180 degrees celsius for about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from over and cool on tray for about 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to completely cool.


Royal Icing
2 egg whites
2 tsp lemonjuice
3 cups icing sugar

Beat the egg whites with the lemon juice until stiff peaks. Add the sifted sugar and beat on low speed until smooth (I added gradually and my royal icing came out too thick, so try adding half, beat until smooth, the repeat). If necessary, to get the right consistency, add more sugar or water. Add food coloring, if desired. The icing needs to be used immediately or put in an airtight container as it hardens when exposed to air. 

Using a small piping bag, pipe the outside edge of your cookie. Then fill the inside of the shape. Store in an airtight container.



No comments:

Post a Comment