Sunday, August 17, 2014

Sunday food traditions

Do you have a special Sunday food tradition? My Mum use to tell me how her family use to have a big roast for Sunday lunch. The family would all get together and enjoy a big meal each Sunday. My Dad also told stories of how when he came over for dinner my grandfather would stand on the table trying to squat the tiny moths and that no one else at the table would flinch or think it was weird. I like to imagine he even did this at the big Sunday lunches.

We didn't have these kinds of traditions growing up, but we did have food legends. Like my Mum's chicken lasagne, which was so rich that we could only eat it once a year for fear of heart failure. And always having bread with dinner, which I would make a sandwich with using anything on my plate - you bet, I double carbed, bread and potato!!

I would like to think I could start some food traditions with my son. One that I think should be pretty doable is a big meal, possibly even a roast, on Sundays. Tonight I made a roast chicken with potatoes, mustard beans and an Italian bread/curton thing. It was delicious. Then to follow, these lemon and lime tarts. Enjoy!


Lemon and Lime Tarts
Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup icing sugar
150g butter, chilled
pinch salt
1 x egg yolk
2 -4 tbs chilled water


Add flour, icing sugar, butter and salt to the food processor and blend until it resembles a fine breadcrumb. Next add the egg yolk and pulse until combined. Finally, with the processor running, add a tablespoon of icy water at a time until the pastry comes together and forms a ball. Remove from the processor and roll out to about 1cm thick and line in a greased muffin tray. Cover and pop into the fridge to rest for about an hour. When ready, blind bake the pastry cases in a moderate oven (about 180 C) for about 20 - 25 minutes. Set aside to completely cool.

Lemon and lime curd

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
110g caster sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature, lightly whisked
100g butter, chopped


Whisk together the lemon juice, lime juice, sugar and egg in a medium saucepan, place over a low heat and stir. Add the butter. Continue to stir until mixture thickens (about 8 minutes). Spoon into the pastry cases and pop in the fridge to set.

Meringue
3 egg whites, at room temperature
Pinch of salt
115g caster sugar, extra


Using an electric beater, whisk egg whites and salt to soft peaks. With the beater still going, sprinkle over the sugar. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and glossy. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe on top of the curb. Using a blow torch, scorch the top of the meringue. Serve with whipped cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment