Saturday, May 26, 2012

Third cake of the week


Today is my brother's birthday and he's turning 30 (dirty 30!). He is one of those big brother's who is over protective and always looks out for his little sisters - sounds cliche, but that's who he is. He is impossible to buy for, as he just buys whatever he wants himself and isn't fussed with other stuff. So, I decided to make something special for him - chocolate sour cream cupcakes with a chocolatey-raspberry cream cheese icing. We had lunch plans, so Reuben and I baked them in the morning just in time for lunch (actually, we were late because I lost the keys somewhere in the house while I was rushing to leave - that's another story). We finally got to the restaurant and as I was getting out of the car I fumbled and dropped the tin causing all the cupcakes to flip and go everywhere in the tin. I managed to salvage them using a knife in the restaurant - whoops. I don't think the messy presentation put anyone off though. The cupcakes were crumbly and moist and the icing was sweet with a lovely hint of tart raspberry. Happy Birthday bro, couldn't ask for a better brother!

My brother and I riding "horses". Possibly aged about 4 and 2.
Chocolate Sour Cream cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing

200g plain flour
200g caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
40g best-quality cocoa
175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
150ml sour cream

Preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare a cupcake tray with 12 cupcakes liners.

In a bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarb soda. Add the sugar and combine. Using a hand beater, mix the butter into the dry ingredients until a sandy consistency. In a separate bowl, whisk the sour cream, vanilla and eggs until smooth. Pour wet ingredients into the dry, and beat on low until just combined. Be careful not to overbeat.

Divide the batter into the cupcake cases and bake until a thin skewer comes out clean, which should be about 25 minutes. When ready, remove from the oven and set aside until cool.
The best part of baking is licking the beaters.

Cream Cheese icing
250g cream cheese
3 tbs ganache
2 tbs raspberry jam 
As I had a heap of ganache left over from both the other cakes I made this week, I am combining the cream cheese with the ganache and then adding some raspberry jam to create a deliciously chocolatey icing. Beat the ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Using a piping bag or flat knife, spread the cream cheese icing over the top. ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment