Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Something for the kids that Mummy will love

It's no secret I like to bake. It relaxes me, it gives me an avenue to show off, it confirms I am actually good at something. So, when I'm invited to someone's house, I generally like to bring something homemade. Whenever my friend Dani invites my son and I over for a play date, she specifically tells me not to bake - so of course, I always bake.

Luckily, whenever I bake for Dani, I don't feel like I need to bring something overly healthy, like oat bars or date slice. Not saying she injects her kids full of sugar or doesn't feed them properly, just that she's a pretty cool and level headed Mum.

I had some passionfruit in the fruit bowl so wanted to base my treats on that. I did a quick search of my "go to" recipe site and found these Vanilla Custard and Passionfruit Scrolls. I love custard and remember whenever we use to visit people as kids, my parents would buy a bun - my favourite was always the custard bun. So, these scrolls are an homage to my parent's "drop in" days as well as a delicious treat for kids and mummies! 


Vanilla Custard and Passionfruit Scrolls
Adapted from Taste.com.au

Creme anglaise (aka custard)
2.5 cups milk
1 vanilla bean
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup caster sugar 

Dough
300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
2 tbs icing sugar mixture
80g butter, chilled, chopped
125ml (1/2 cup) milk
2 tbs fresh passionfruit pulp
 
Passionfruit icing
45g (1/4 cup) icing sugar mixture
1 tbs fresh passionfruit pulp

Begin with the custard. Pour milk into a small saucepan. Using a sharp knife, split the vanilla bean and scrap the seeds into the milk. Drop the pod in as well. Bring mixture to a simmer over a low heat.

In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Gently whisk in the hot milk. Return the mixture to the saucepan over the low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture thickens. Do not allow the mixture to boil or curdle. Remove from heat and strain.

Preheat oven to 210°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.

Place the flour, icing sugar and butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the milk and process until dough just starts to come together.
Turn onto a clean surface and knead until smooth. Roll out the dough on non-stick baking paper to form a 25 x 35cm rectangle. Spread evenly with the custard and top with the passionfruit pulp. Starting with the long side closest to you, roll up firmly to form a log. Trim the ends and discard. Cut crossways into 8 even portions.

Arrange the portions, cut-side up, side by side and just touching on the lined tray. Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden.

Meanwhile, to make the passionfruit icing, place the icing sugar and passionfruit pulp in a small bowl and stir until well combined.

Use a fork to drizzle icing over the scrolls. Serve warm.





No comments:

Post a Comment