Saturday, August 16, 2014

Julia will always make you bake!

Before we uploaded all my DVDs onto a computer connected to the TV, I had all my DVDs on display and filed them by my own categories. The unique way I categorise my DVDs was by mood. I have my horrible girly movies that I know I like to watch when I'm sick or home alone and feel like a lazy afternoon. I have some comedies. Then I have serious DVDs, ones which one might need to think about or focus on while watching. I also have an area for my son's movies, which are mostly Pixar and Disney movies. I think I need one more category - baking! There is one DVD, that every time I watch it, I feel the need to scroll through my cookbooks looking for recipes and bake something semi-elaborate. This movie is Julia & Julie. I love it! I have watched it too many times and it's at the top of my girly section, as I watch it more often than any of the others.

I recently watched it when I had a day off. I think I only got half way through before I jumped into the kitchen and made these Chocolate Rum Custard Tarts. Which was good, because then I had a delicious treat to finish the movie with. Enjoy.



Chocolate Rum Custard Tarts
Sweet Shortcrust pastry
2 cups plain flour
150g chilled butter, cut into cubs
Pinch salt
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 x egg yolk
Iced water

I find it really easy to make shortcrust pastry in the food processor. Firstly add flour, icing sugar, butter and salt to the food processor and blend until it resembles a fine breadcrumb. Next add the egg yolk and pulse until combined. Finally, with the processor running, add a tablespoon of icy water at a time until the pastry comes together and forms a ball. Remove from the processor and roll out to about 1cm thick and line in a greased muffin tray. Cover and pop into the fridge to rest for about an hour. When ready, blind bake the pastry cases in a moderate oven (about 180 C) for about 20 - 25 minutes. Set aside to completely cool.

Chocolate Custard Rum
1/2 cup coffee
1 1/2 tb gelatin powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
5 eggs, yolk and white separated
1 cup caster sugar, plus another tbs for egg whites
2 tsp corn flour
1 1/2 cups milk
85g dark chocolate, melted
pinch of salt
2 tbs rum
250ml thickened cream

Combine the coffee and vanilla then sprinkle the gelatin over the top and gently whisk to combine. Leave to the side to start your chocolate custard. 

Beat the 5 egg yolks until pale and creamy, then add sugar and corn flour and continue beating until thick and a ribbon forms when you hold the whisk above the mixture. Combine the milk and melted chocolate and while the beaters are on a low setting, drizzle the milk into the egg mixture until combined. Pour into a saucepan over a medium heat. Stir with wooden spoon until mixture thickens just enough to coat the back of the spoon. Remove from heat and immediately add the coffee mixture. Whisk until combined.

In a clean bowl, whisk the 5 egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Sprinkle the sugar on top and continue beating until egg whites form stiff peaks. Fold into the warm chocolate custard mixture.

Finally, whip the cream then fold in the rum. Fold into custard mixture. Pipe or spoon mixture into pastry cases and pop into the fridge to set. Grate some dark chocolate over the top just before serving to finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment